September 01, 2006

Why see Pokiri 3 times?

If I cared for my reputation in the slightly snooty circles, I wouldn't be admitting this... But I've actually see the movie 3 times. And if other friends, who've been wanting to see the movie want me to accompany them, I just might go again.
 
Is it Mahesh Babu? There's one school of thought in my family that I'm watching the movie just coz I like M Babu's face (or other assets). And then there are the accusations that I like the guy simply because he's tall, fair, and caucasian loooking. Of course, this observation comes from my daughter... and it comes in the wake of my observation that she only likes barbie dolls because they are tall, ridiculously thin and fair. Hmm. Maybe I like th guy's mug because he's T, F and CL... but it would be so uncool to accept that in this politically correct world. But then I also drool over all sorts of other unlikely types on screen and off screen, so I guess it evens things out.
 
Or maybe the movie has a story I like. "Story". Like in narrative... with plots and characters and things. Or the screen play? Or those ooo-aaah songs? Or those snappy dialogues? camerawork? Editing?
Or then, the social scientists can tell me the movie is fulfilling a deep desire of mine and connects to the social myths that I live with. Perhaps they can de-construct the message and symbols that are connecting with my consciousness. Perhaps it is my childhood, or my identity or some other esoteric reason.
 
Or perhaps its all just a conspiracy by the aliens
 
I'll be damned if I can think of one intelligent reason why I like the movie. But the fact is, I do. Enough to see it a fourth time.

No comments: