October 31, 2006

Critical distinction

The university if full of words. Each one stealthily sounding like the other, with fine nuances, with totally different world views behind each of them. My favourite case of messed up usage revolves around that loved and hated C word: Criticism. Is that a neutral word meaning objective evaluation? Or does it mean a whining, mean nitpicking that is bound to make anybody defensive and irritable? I think a distinction is important.

Criticize: To nitpick, find fault, and belittle people, things, ideas, events ...
Effects: It doesn't matter if the observation is technically accurate. It doesnt leave anybody happier or wiser, not even the "criticizer". And you'll often find it articulated in positive language, disguised as sarcastic humor. (You know the sarcastic humor scene - everybody is laughing but nobody is happy)

Critical thinking: To understand, analyze, apply, synthesize and evaluate information, events, processes... and the objective is to understand better or act more wisely. Almost never to put down another or score points.
Effects: Better understanding, people receive observations based on critical thinking very positively (you'll be amazed how positively), action is possible, there is a lightness of spirit...

It amazes me how much criticizing happens, under the guise of critical thinking!! Of course, some people are smart - they can add layer on layer of complexity: When you are smart, you hide the criticism under critical thinking. Which in turn is presented as a very humble, "in my opinion". So much intelligence and so many smiles... barely covering a mass of messy emotions.

Surely, our emotions deserve better acknowledgement than this!!

2 comments:

Joya said...

Hi! Just saw the post, the distinction is finely made out. But how to perform this exercise on "self" which is very subjective? Again, is it really possible to separate the 'mind' and 'heart' in the thinking process? I somehow believe that there is nothing called "absolute objectivity"

Manasvini said...

I don't see the necessity for (or the possibility of) separating thought and emotion. I mean, it's nice to try, but darned difficult to do well.

The point I was making was that:
When I practice critical thinking, I experience a "lightness" inside. To me this is a litmus test to see if its criticism or critical thinking at work.

I dont see the need to specifically find out if this "lightness" is a thought or emotion or something in between or beyond. To me, it's enough to just experience it.